GEORGE BAYNTUN NEWSLETTER

Sign up now to receive our newsletter for the latest news and information.

ANTIQUARIAN BOOK

Religio Medici.

BROWNE (Sir Thomas).

BROWNE (Sir Thomas).

Religio Medici.

Frontispiece portrait and illustration, title printed in red and black.

Small 4to. [233 x 170 x 24 mm]. x, [ii], 187, [1] pp. Contemporary binding by the Guild of Women Binders (signed with an ink pallet on the front endleaf) of natural goatskin, the covers tooled with a blind fillet border and a panel composed of nine blind fillets, reducing to three along the sides, with a gilt flower head and leaf used twice at each corner. Smooth spine lettered and dated in blind at the head and foot, with seven blind vertical fillets and gilt flower head and leaf, the turn-ins and matching inside joints tooled with a thick and thin gilt fillet, marbled endleaves, top edge gilt, the others uncut.
London: [by Charles Whittingham and Co. for] George Bell and Sons, 1898.

Tipped-in at the front is a printed slip headed "Guild of Women Binders" and announcing "This Style of Binding is a revival of the Mediaeval Binding. It is worked entirely by hand, on solid leather. It is exceedingly durable. It improves with age, assuming in a year or two a beautiful old-ivory tone. It may be exposed to the strongest sunlight without damage. It can be washed if necessary. It is especially suited for early-printed books, Kelmscott-Press publications, Altar-Books, Bibles, Prayer-Books, Illuminated Missals, etc; also for Wedding, Birthday, and Christmas presents. Any device can be worked on it. A special design for the Kelmscott-Chaucer can be seen". In this case the leather does show some blemishes, but this may be seen as an aspect of the ageing process and could be described as a "beautiful old-ivory tone".

With the bookplate of Alfred de Curzon (1831-1916), 4th Baron Scarsdale, of Kedleston Hall, the father of Lord Curzon, the Viceroy of India.

The Guild of Women Binders was formed in 1898 by Frank Karslake and consisted of a loosely knit federation of women's organisations, handicraft classes, and binders working in their own homes. They were closely associated with their male counterparts, the Hampstead Bindery. Many of their bindings were sold at Sotheby in 1900, 1901 and 1904, after which the Guild was dissolved.

Stock no. ebc3817

ยป Contact us about this item

Price: £900

INSIDE OUR SHOP